Chicken and dumplings….such great memories of this classic dish. And now it’s here in all of it’s gluten free, made from scratch glory!
Comfort foods are always great to have…especially when they fall in line with whole food eating. This recipe is the perfect way to use leftover roasted chicken. One thing that is nice about this meal is that it is completely done on top of the stove. That’s perfect for those warmer months when you don’t want to turn on your stove.
The dumplings are made using gluten free flour and the whole dish is so totally yummy that I actually went back for more, which I don’t normally do!
- 4 tbsp pastured butter
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 lg carrot, chopped
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tbsp gluten free flour or arrowroot powder
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- ½ cup whole milk or cream
- 2 cups cooked chicken, diced
- 1 tsp unrefined sea salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 2 cups gluten free all purpose flour
- 1 tsp unrefined sea salt (for dumplings)
- 1 tbsp aluminum free baking powder
- 1 tbsp leaf lard or butter
- 1 cup whole milk or cream
- In a large saucepan melt the 4 tbsp of butter.
- Add onion, celery and carrots and saute until soft.
- Stir in flour (1/4 cup plus 2 tbsp), 1 tsp salt and black pepper and mix well.
- Add chicken broth and bring to boil.
- Allow mix to continue simmering for approximately 10 minutes until mix begins to thicken.
- Add chicken and ½ cup milk or cream and continue to simmer.
- In a large mixing bowl combine sprouted flour (2 cups), salt and baking powder and mix thoroughly.
- With a pastry blender, mix in the lard/butter until well mixed.
- Add milk and mix well.
- Drop by spoonful into chicken mixture.
- Cover and cook for 15 minutes