Why make grain free lasagna? Why not!
There are a lot of people who are jumping on the grain free bandwagon these days. Although I’m not a strictly grain free eater, I do limit the amount of grains that I eat each week. I am strictly gluten free since I have developed a pretty bad intolerance to gluten grains.
I have also been looking for more ways to add more vegetables into my meals and so I’ve been wanted to make this lasagna using zucchini noodles for awhile. It reminds me a lot of an Italian zucchini casserole that my Mom used to make regularly that my family absolutely LOVED! Ah, such yummy memories! You can use this homemade spaghetti sauce recipe for this lasagna!
The addition of the ground beef and all of the cheesy goodness make it into a wonderfully filling meal. This recipe is low carb and gluten free as well.
- 1 pound grass fed ground beef
- 2-3 zucchini
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped finely
- ½ small onion, chopped finely
- ½ green pepper, chopped finely
- 4 oz. mushrooms, chopped finely
- 1 box frozen organic spinach, thawed and drained
- 1 egg
- ¾ cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 15 oz. container ricotta cheese
- 24 oz. Simple Clean Living Spaghetti Sauce
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cut off ends of zucchini and slice lengthwise, thinly (can use a mandoline slicer)
- Spray baking pan with olive oil
- Place zucchini sliced on sprayed baking pan and sprinkle with salt.
- Bake in oven for 5 minutes, flip each piece and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- When done, set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet.
- Add onions, garlic, green pepper and mushrooms and saute until the onions are soft.
- Add ground beef and brown completely.
- Add spaghetti sauce and allow to simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine ricotta, ½ cup of mozzarella, egg and drained spinach.
- Mix well.
- In an 8x8 baking dish, cover the bottom with a layer of meat sauce.
- Layer on zucchini noodles (you may have to cut some noodles in half to fit)
- Spread on layer of cheese mixture.
- Repeat with another layer of meat mixture, noodles and cheese mixture.
- Top with one last layer of meat mixture.
- Cover dish with aluminum foil and bake at 350 degrees F for 30-35 minutes.
- Remove from oven, remove foil and sprinkle on remaining ¼ cup of mozzarella.
- Bake for an additional 10 minutes, until cheese is melted.