Viva Italia! Today I’m sharing the luscious, decadent Slow Cooker Creamy Italian Chicken recipe that tastes like something that takes a lot of time to prepare….but doesn’t!! Woo hoo!
After two weeks away, I have been so excited to bring you some new slow cooker recipes! My slow cooker has really been my best buddy over the busy couple of weeks that I’ve had! I really have no idea what kind of food I would’ve ended up eating if I didn’t have some super quick and easy slow cooker meals to fix! But cooking from scratch is just so much better on my body than eating out a lot! My tummy really doesn’t like that at all! Even though I’m single, using a slow cooker still works! I have a cute little 1.5 quart mini slow cooker that is brilliant for making 1-2 serving slow cooker meals. Who says that you can’t eat great, home cooked meals when you’re single….and I’m living proof that you can!
This recipe was really a food experiment. I looked at what I had in the freezer and the fridge (organic diced tomatoes, heavy cream, veggies and chicken). I had no idea if this recipe would work or not, but was very pleasantly surprised when it tasted really yummy! It is such a simple dish, but has a really quick prep time (less than 10 minutes), which makes it a real time saver.
I love the versatility of this recipe for different dietary concerns as well. You can serve this over whole wheat pasta, brown rice pasta (gluten free) or fresh zucchini pasta (grain free)….whatever you need and what works best for your body! For those who are dairy free, you can use coconut milk or cream and omit the Parmesan cheese!
Pair this with some Italian style green beans or a nice salad for a great meal!
- 1 lb boneless chicken breast or thighs-pasture raised preferred
- 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes (or approx 1 1/2 cups freshly diced)
- I cup heavy cream or unsweetened coconut milk (dairy free)
- 1 tsp basil
- 1 tsp oregano
- 2-3 cloves fresh garlic, chopped
- 1/2 tsp unrefined sea salt
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese (omit for dairy free)
- Spray crock with olive oil
- Add chicken, diced tomatoes, basil, oregano, garlic, salt, onions and mushrooms.
- Cook on low for 6-7 hours or high for 4 hours.
- One hour before finished cooking, add the cream and Parmesan cheese and mix well.
- Serve over brown rice (gluten free) or fresh zucchini pasta (grain free)