Summertime is here, and so it’s the perfect time to introduce some great summer meals. This taco salad is one meal that my family often has at family get togethers. And if I’m short on time for dinner, I will often fix one of these for myself. But now, I’ve made it with real ingredients! This is super simple to prepare and also easy for each member of the family to personalize according to their own tastes…..or food intolerances!
You can also add different vegetables and ingredients according to what you like or leave out what you like as well.
If you use certified gluten free tortilla chips, then this great entree salad is gluten free!
- 1 lb ground beef, browned
- 1 1/2 cups black beans, soaked and cooked or 1 can organic black beans
- taco seasoning mix
- 2-3 cloves garlic, chopped
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 2 tbsp green chilies, chopped (optional)
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
- Romaine or green leaf lettuce, shredded
- Chopped onion, green pepper, tomatoes, avocado
- Sliced black olives (optional)
- Cheddar cheese
- Gluten free corn tortilla chips, organic or homemade
- In a large skillet, brown the ground beef. Drain any liquid.
- Add drained and rinsed black beans.
- Add taco seasoning mix, garlic, sea salt, cayenne and green chilies and stir well.
- Crunch up a handful of tortilla chips and place in salad bowl or plate.
- Top tortilla chips with lettuce.
- Top lettuce with beef/bean mixture.
- Spread onion, black olives, tomatoes, avocado and green pepper on top of beef/bean mixture.
- Shred some cheddar cheese on top of everything.
- You can also top this with some sour cream and homemade salsa for a great tasting addition to your meal!