This yummy gem actually came one night when I was in a bit of a jam. I knew that I needed to make something from supper, but I didn’t have any meat thawed and really didn’t want to have to go to the store to buy anything! I happened to have some smoked sausage in the freezer and so I threw the package into a little water bath to thaw it and whipped this together. It’s super simple and you can modify it some to suit your tastes.
For mine, I used a spicy smoked sausage that has a bit of a kick. You can also use kielbasa and can do either pork or chicken sausage. I do recommend that you use an uncured sausage for this. If you can find a local farm that makes it…even better!
I also made this gluten free by using brown rice pasta. I topped this with cheddar cheese, but you can use any type of block cheese that you’d like. Some suggestions would be cheddar, Monterrey Jack, mozzarella, Colby. I do recommend shredding your own to avoid the cellulose used in pre-shredded cheese as a way to keep it from clumping.
I was really surprised at how tasty and filling this was! I will definitely make it again soon!
This dish is simple to make and can be made spicy or mild depending on your taste.
- 1 pound brown rice pasta (penne or rotini)
- 1 pound uncured smoked sausage or kielbasa, sliced thinly
- 1 14 oz can diced tomatoes (organic preferred)
- 1 15 oz can tomato sauce (organic preferred)
- 1 cup onions, chopped
- 1 tsp oregano
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tbsp parsley
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp unrefined sea salt
- 8 oz shredded cheese (cheddar, Colby, Monterrey Jack, mozzarella)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- In a large bowl mix everything except the cheese until fully mixed.
- Pour into a 9 x 13 baking pan.
- Top with shredded cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove foil and continue cooking for another 10-15 minutes.
I have also made this recipe smaller so that it is perfect for one to two people.
- ¼ lb smoked sausage
- 3 oz pasta, cooked according to package
- ¼ cup onions
- 8 oz can tomato sauce
- ½ cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- ½ tsp oregano
- 2 cloves garlic
- ½ tsp real salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Mix all ingredients except cheese in medium mixing bowl.
- Mix well
- Add to small casserole dish.
- Top with cheese.
- Bake at 350 for 30 minutes