Coconut macaroons are a classic favorite! But change them up a bit by making them chocolate drizzled coconut macaroons and they will be a hit during the holidays!
I love making cookies….all kinds of cookies! And since it’s now the holiday season my yearly baking has begun! I’ve been wanting to make these for awhile and since I had a long weekend, I felt like it was the perfect time to whip up a batch of these tasty macaroons. Yum with a capital Y! These little tasty gems are gluten free and grain free.
I drizzle on some melted chocolate that is soy, grain and dairy free. This is my favorite brand of chocolate chips! I combine the melted chocolate with a little bit of virgin coconut oil which is a huge nutritional bonus!
These macaroons are perfect for holiday entertaining, for family get togethers and for everyday desserts!
This simple grain free cookie is made even better drizzled with chocolate.
- 4 cups unsweetened shredded coconut
- 3/4 cup Sucanat, coconut sugar or turbinado sugar
- 5 egg whites, room temperature
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- few drops almond extract
- 1/8 tsp unrefined sea salt
- 2/3 cup chocolate chips
- 1 tsp virgin coconut oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large mixing bowl mix together coconut, salt and Sucunat (or other sweetener)
- Mix together the egg whites, vanilla and almond extract.
- Pour the egg mixture into the coconut and mix thoroughly, until all of the coconut has been moistened.
- Take large tablespoonfuls and roll them in your hand.
- Place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a silicone liner.
- Gently flatten each macaroon with your hand slightly.
- Bake at 350 for 11-14 minutes.
- Allow to cool for 5-10 minutes before transferring to wire rack to cool completely.
- In a double boiler melt the chocolate.
- Once melted, add the coconut oil and stir until completely melted.
- Drizzle over the cooled cookies.
- Place cookies in the refrigerator to allow the chocolate to harden.
- Store finished cookies in an airtight container in the refrigerator.