I have some beautiful pieces of real wood furniture in my home that I like to keep clean and healthy. And years ago, I would’ve gone and purchased a can of lemon scented furniture polish like most people do.
That was, until I learned about the toxic nature of the chemicals in that store bought furniture polish! So that can of polish went into the garbage and left me looking for natural solutions to keep my furniture looking great…and keeping the air in my home much healthier for my family too!
In case you are not quite convinced about giving up that can of lemon scented furniture polish (you know the one I’m talking about!), let’s take a look at what chemicals are inside the can and how they can affect your health.
- Naphtha, petroleum, light alkylate (a petroleum distillate)- these nasty chemicals can affect you when inhaled and be absorbed through the skin. Can irritate the skin, eyes, nose, throat and lungs. It can affect the nervous system causing symptoms such as dizziness, loss of balance, nausea, headache and can be dangerous for the kidneys and liver. It can also affect the respiratory system and is particularly dangerous for those who have respiratory problems. It is highly flammable.
- Polydimethylsiloxanes (Silicone oil)-we hear a lot about silicone and it is found in lots of not only household cleaners, but personal care products. And although it has been touted as safe for use, it is a gray area. The biggest concern is that silicone allows other ingredients to penetrate the skin more easily which would give you more exposure to chemicals such as the petroleum distillates that do pose health risks.
- Butane-you have probably heard of this before because it is used in cigarette lighters and as fuel for camp stoves. But this highly flammable gas has potential symptoms such as drowsiness, narcosis (extreme sleepiness or loss of consciousness), asphyxia and cardiac arrhythmia.
- Isobutane-also a highly flammable gas similar to butane, this gas can cause similar symptoms.
- Propane-you have also most likely heard of this….especially if you ever grill out. This is the gas used in tanks for gas grills. Luckily, you would have to be exposed to much, much more of this gas in order for it to affect your health. You simply can’t be exposed to enough of this for it to cause health problems.
So, if you are concerned about any of these ingredients (and I don’t personally want to use a product containing so many highly flammable gases), you will be happy to know that there are great natural ways to clean your wood furniture that are much healthier!
- 1 part lemon juice or white vinegar
- 3 parts olive oil (or almond oil)
- Mix ingredients in a bowl or dish.
- Dip a soft cloth into the mix (dampen, not soak)
- Rub gently onto wood
- Allow to air dry if necessary.