I have been wanting to make some new salads for awhile. This is soup and stew season for me and I love to pair it with a nice salad so that I can get some fresh produce in my diet. I have a lot of savory salads in my food repertoire. Although I enjoy savory salads, this salad mixes savory with a taste of sweet.
There is plenty of sweet in the cranberries, apple and the maple syrup in the vinaigrette. Because of that, you may want to choose a less sweet Granny Smith which is a little bit more tart than other apples. But you can use an apple you love. The sweetness is balanced out by the savory bite from the cheese as well as the savory tartness of the balsamic vinegar in the dressing! The combination is delightful for the tastebuds.
It is best to use dried cranberries that don’t have added sugar when possible. Addded sugar is common for dried fruits, but it’s better to avoid that added sugar if you can.
I used walnuts in this recipe, but pumpkin seeds are also amazing in this salad! Of course, you always have the option to use both.
This salad is great any time! It’s perfect along side some fresh, homemade soup. But it’s equally as great as a side for your next holiday party.
This salad recipe is naturally gluten and grain free.
- Baby spinach
- 1 Granny Smith apple
- Unsweetened dried cranberries
- Feta cheese
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinaigrette
- 1 tbsp real maple syrup
- Pinch ground pepper
- Pinch sea salt
- Mix the olive oil, vinaigrette, maple syrup, pepper and salt in a pourable container.
- Add the remaining ingredients into a salad bowl.
- Top with dressing and enjoy
- This dressing recipe makes enough for two servings, so you have an excuse to make another salad!