I really love this smaller version of the Sloppy Joes recipe. I actually got this recipe from my brother and my sister-in-law. Their version did not include the green pepper, because my sister-in-law is allergic to peppers. I converted it and made it healthier.
I don’t really eat buns anymore, but sometimes I will eat this in a lettuce leaf….or my guilty pleasure is to dip organic corn tortilla chips into it….yum!!! It is perfect warmed up as leftovers!
Without a bun, this recipe is both gluten and grain free.
- 1 pound ground beef, grass fed preferred
- 1/3 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup green pepper, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 2 tsp Sucanat, turbinado sugar or coconut sugar
- 2 cloves garlic, minced finely
- 1 tsp mustard powder or prepared mustard
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Brown ground beef, garlic, onion and green pepper in a skillet over medium heat.
- Once beef is browned, remove from heat and drain any excess fluid.
- Add water, sugar, mustard, ketchup and salt and mix well.
- Return to stove top and allow to simmer on low for 15-20 minutes. If sauce becomes too thick, add an additional 2 tbsp to 1/4 cup of water to thin.