The weather is beginning to get cooler here in South Carolina as fall progresses. As summer temperatures depart, and the temperatures change, it’s natural to begin to crave foods that are more energy dense. Seasonal foods found in autumn include plenty of root vegetables like potatoes, yams, rutabega and more. Broth based soups and stews become more common to help warm the body during the cooler months.
This is the perfect time of the year to throw together some hearty, healthy beef stew. And I adore using my slow cooker for this recipe! It allows the beef chunks to become extremely tender and really infuses the flavors while it cooks throughout the day. And it makes my house smell amazing as well!
Cooked vegetables are not as high vibrationally as fresh, raw vegetables, but we’ve been eating seasonally for thousands of years and the type of produce that is available during the summer months was never available year round until the last couple of hundred years. So our ancestors ate what was available during the winter months, which throughout much of North America was meat, root vegetables, possibly some greens and any summer vegetables that had been preserved through canning or drying.
This type of recipe will ALWAYS be higher vibrationally than factory processed foods!
This recipe is extremely easy to prep. It takes relatively little time to chop up ingredients and put them in the slow cooker. I prefer to use bone broth as my broth of choice. Bone broth is very good for gut health, and I typically make a big homemade batch every couple of months and free what I don’t use right away. Vegetable, chicken or beef broth is easily substitutable.
This recipe is naturally gluten and grain free. If you are looking for paleo options, feel free to substitute cauliflower for the potatoes. It’s every bit as tasty!
- 1 lb cubed stew beef (pasture raised preferred)
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 large russet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 1 celery stalk, sliced
- 3 cups bone broth (or broth of choice)
- 1 tbsp arrowroot powder
- 2 tsp water
- Add all ingredients except arrowroot powder and water to the slow cooker
- Cook on high for 4 hours and low for 6-8 hours.
- To thicken stew add arrowroot and water to small bowl and mix.
- Add arrowroot mixture to slow cooker 10 minutes before serving and mix.
- Allow the stew to thicken and serve.
- The stew in my photo was made thicker than what I normally do, because I was low on broth (oops) if you like a really thick stew, remove 1 cup of broth!