Do you like spicy food? Well this slow cooker red beans and rice will definitely put a little spicy in your day!
It’s almost Mardi Gras which makes me think of New Orleans, and the amazing food that you can find down Louisiana way. One great spicy recipe is red beans and rice, and this slow cooker version is really simple to make. Original versions of this call for Andouille sausage which can be challenging to find, so I often just used smoked sausage in mine. This recipe serves 6 people, so there will be plenty for everyone! It will definitely freeze well.
It’s best to serve this over some hot rice! This recipe is naturally gluten free.
Here is the recipe for two!
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable stock
- 1/2 can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 3/4 tsp olive oil
- 1/4 lb smoked sausage, cut into thin slices
- 1/4 cup onion, chopped
- 1/4 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1/2 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 3/4 tsp garlic powder
- 3/4 tsp Creole seasoning
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Add all ingredients to your slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 5 hours or high for 3.
- Serve over rice.
- 2 cans red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pound Andouille sausage or smoked sausage
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, de-seeded and chopped
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 3 tsp garlic powder
- 3 tsp creole seasoning (use an organic brand if you can find it!)
- 2 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- Add all of the ingredients to the slow cooker
- Cook on low for 8-9 hours or high for 4-5.