As the weather gets warmer I love to introduce more salads into my meals. This spinach salad with warm bacon dressing is actually a salad that I fell in love with years ago when I first tasted it at a local restaurant. Of course, the dressing was that restaurant’s house dressing and it was so tasty that it really stuck in my mind. Luckily, one of my friends had made a similar recipe and was willing to share it with me.
I have tried this recipe with three different types of vinegar….apple cider, balsamic and red wine. You can substitute any of them, but it will change the taste. I ultimately decided that I liked the organic red wine vinegar that I used the best…the other two were just a little too strong for this dressing and overpowered the bacon a bit (and we can’t have that now, can we?)
This recipe is both gluten free and grain free….as long as you make sure you use a gluten and grain free vinegar (yep….vinegar can have one or the other!)
- Organic spinach
- 2 hard boiled eggs, sliced
- 6 slices bacon
- 1/4 sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp Sucanat or coconut sugar
- 3 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp of brown or Dijon mustard
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- Unrefined sea salt and black pepper
- Wash the spinach thoroughly and pat dry.
- Cook the bacon until it's really crispy and set aside.
- In a small saucepan, add 3-4 tbsp of leftover bacon grease, Sucanat, mustard, garlic and red wine vinegar.
- Heat bacon grease mixture over low heat, stirring occasionally, until Sucanat has dissolved.
- Crumble the bacon and add it to the dressing mixture.
- Place spinach in salad bowls or plates.
- Top with sliced egg and onion.
- Spoon on warm bacon dressing mixture.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.